Save your Precious Pets From Pesticides

Every year, thousands of domestic pets and wild life lose their lives to the ravaging effects of pesticide poisoning. Most pet lovers also enjoy gardening and the great outdoors. Little do they know what caustic ingredients are in the pesticides that are being sprayed on lawns and green areas. We take for granted that most herbicides used by gardeners or sold in stores are safe. Many name brands such as “Weed n’ Feed” and “Round Up” contain the same deadly cancer causing ingredients that were found in Agent Orange. Another synthetic poison found in these two well known garden products is 2,4-D. It is also the active ingredient found in “Killex.” It can cause loss of reflex in humans along with comas, kidney and liver failure. In dogs it is the number one killer causing malignant lymphomas, a form of cancer.

Sadly, just five percent of pesticides reach their target weeds and garden pest. Pesticides and chemicals target our water supplies, lakes and streams in the form of run off or just dissipate into the air and fall back to earth in the form of acid rain. Major health damage can occur when Toxic Pesticides are absorbed through our skin, swallowed or inhaled. When not applied correctly, pesticides can settle on ponds, pools, children’s toys, pets left outdoors and even drift through open windows settling on our furniture, bedding and even our floors. Our pets paws and our own shoes often are responsible for tracking deadly pesticides into our homes leaving unseen traces on our carpet.

We all face the continuing problem of toxic by-products through years of pesticide residue that is in our food supply and everyday environment. What we don’t realize is how wide spread pesticide poisoning really is. These caustic chemicals are widely used in many of our schools and playgrounds as well as in public buildings private homes and many hospitals and hotels. Pesticide abuse is used in our agriculture and forest areas.

Why are Pets Vulnerable to Pesticide Poisoning?

* Pets spend most of their time close to the ground, this is where pesticide concentration is highest.

* Pets ingest most pesticides while grooming themselves. Many pets ingest these chemicals with the natural process of cleaning their paws and fur.

Most of our pets spend their time playing in heavily treated areas such as our front lawns or back yards.

* Pets have higher absorption rates than human systems. Animals may be more sensitive and easily poisoned by conditions deemed safe to people.

Signs of Pesticide Poisoning In Pets

* Excessive drooling and foaming at the mouth.

* Loss of thirst and appetite.

* Vomiting or diarrhea.

* Immune function decline.

* Convulsions and disorientation.

* Birds and fish die due to toxic runoff in our water supply.

* Feline thyroid disease.

* Dogs contract cancer (malignant lymphoma)

What Can We Do To Stop Pesticide Poisoning?